Association of Arab Universities
The Association of Arab Universities is a non-governmental organization that has an independent legal character. Its membership includes 280 Arab Universities at the present time. AARU’s was established in 1964 upon a resolution issued by the Arab League. A temporary Secretariat General was formed in Cairo, Egypt. In 1969, permanent Secretariat General was designated. Its permanent headquarters has been in Amman since 1984, the capital of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
What is the Mission of AARU?
The mission of AARU aims at “Assisting and coordinating the efforts of Arab Universities to prepare capable graduates who can serve their Arab communities and preserve its unified culture and civilization, as well as to assist in developing its natural resources.”
The Association seeks to achieve the following goals:
- Working to make Arab universities remain faithful and committed to the values inherent in the faith of Islam and its noble message, and to give due attention to the Arab and Islamic heritage.
- Striving to make Arabic language the medium of instruction atArab universities, and paying attention to other vital languages, as well as unifying scientific terms and translation in general.
- Enhancing cooperation amongst Arab universities and institutes of higher education and coordinating their efforts with a view to realize the Arab national goals.
- Cooperating with counterpart associations and institutions to raise the level of higher education, to promote joint research projects, and to exchange results thereof.
- Enhancing cooperation between Arab and Islamic universities on the one hand, and other universities worldwide, on the other.
- Coordinating efforts amongst Arab universities at international assemblies and conferences.
- Supporting and encouraging mutual students’ activities amongst Arab universities.
- Paving the way for cooperation amongst Arab universities in terms of teaching methods and facilities including libraries, laboratories and other relevant issues as well.
- Cooperating to promote quality assurance and accreditation in the Arab Universities.